THE POSITION: R&D Lab Technician
Posted: February 7th 2022
Pushing boundaries to redefine the future of hydration, HydraPak creates innovative equipment that stand up to the harshest environments. Easy-to-use and highly functional, every HydraPak product showcases the technical manufacturing expertise that has distinguished the company for two decades. By offering a better way to hydrate, and continually seeking to refine its offerings, HydraPak has pioneered new product categories and become a trusted hydration partner for athletes worldwide.
The company serves athletes directly and also as a trusted partner of major brands in the active Outdoor Recreation industry, incorporating our hands-free hydration reservoirs and soft flasks into hydration backpacks and running vests. HydraPak also operates as Bottle Bright®, the natural and effective cleaning tablet, and Polar Bottle®, the original insulated sports water bottle for bike and recreation, and our branded hydration products are available at specialty sport stores worldwide.
We are looking for an R&D Lab Technician who will push our products to the edge before they’re put in the hands of world class athletes and adventurers.
The role of the R&D Lab Technician is to thoroughly check our materials, manufacturing procedures, and product quality to ensure that Hydrapak’s customers get products that perform great and truly live up to their lifetime warranty, even in the most extreme environments. The qualified candidate will run tests on various components and products in order to identify and fix technical issues both during the R&D process and on existing products as we learn about their use in the market.
This position will work closely with both the design team and production team to build a strong understanding of our product’s functional requirements, how they are made, and how we can continuously improve their quality. This will allow them to confidently design and run tests that will ensure that new and existing products meet our standards for consistent quality, performance, and durability
JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Schedule and notate the R&D team’s DFMEA meetings and documents
- Develop internal standards and test cases for all new products given lifetime requirements
- Build, operate, and maintain test benches, including jigs, actuators, and measurement devices
- Run quality control and stress tests on new products before production begins
- Run tests on existing components and in-line final products in order to investigate quality issues
- Evaluate packaging methods and run shipping test to validate material and design robustness
- Assist the engineering team in creating and changing product specifications and drawings
- Test and qualify cutting edge/sustainable new materials and processes for future products
- Analyze test results, detect product issues, and track their root causes
- Document product development data, test results, compliance data, and technical learnings
EDUCATION AND FORMAL TRAINING:
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Associate’s degree in Engineering; Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience in lieu of degree required
- Minimum 1 years of product testing experience required; prior experience in Outdoor Industry preferred
- Solid understanding of electromechanical design and fabrication skills for building and operation of test benches required
- Certification in Quality Assurance, statistics, or material science and/or CAD modeling ability in Solidworks and 3D Printing and/or thermoplastics manufacturing experience are desired
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITY:
- Great troubleshooting skills and an eye for detail
- Analytical mindset and methodical approach to problem solving
- Understanding of statistics, quality metrics, and failure analysis
- Proficient with Google Business Suite, Microsoft Office 365, and Drop Box
- Well-versed in data processing and visualization in MS Excel or comparable program(s)
- Familiarity with adobe products, specifically Illustrator
SALARY & BENEFITS
This is a full-time, in-office/visually-engaging, 40 hour-a-week job in our Oakland, California location. The typical work shift is 8am-5pm, Monday through Friday. Pay range for this position is $50,000-$60,000 per annually. HydraPak offers up to 80 hours of Paid Time Off in the first year of service, 11 paid holidays, a range of comprehensive insurance benefits, employer paid and voluntary, starting the first of the month following a 30-day waiting period, and a 401(k) plan with company match after the first year.
APPLICATION AND STARTING DATE
Please submit your resume and cover letter with “Engineer/Your Name” written in the subject line to JDEV@hydrapak.com. Start date is as soon as possible.
HydraPak LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.